Home - The Official Formula 1 Website Skip to content

Your Opinions and Predictions… 03 Jan 2007

Renault celebrate a second World Championship for Fernando Alonso (ESP) Renault and the Constructors Title.
Formula One World Championship, Rd 18, Brazilian Grand Prix, Race, Interlagos, Brazil, 22 October 2006 Ralf Schumacher (GER) Toyota.
Formula One World Championship, Rd 10, United States Grand Prix, Practice Day, Indianapolis, USA, 30 June 2006 Race winner Jenson Button (GBR) Honda celebrates in Parc ferme.
Formula One World Championship, Rd 13, Hungarian Grand Prix, Race, Budapest, Hungary, 6 August 2006 Bridgestone Tyres 
Formula One World Championship, Rd 17, Japanese Grand Prix, Qualifying Day Suzuka, Japan, 7 October 2006 Lewis Hamilton (GBR) McLaren Mercedes MP4/21. Formula One Testing, Day One, Jerez, Spain, 6 December 2006. World ©  Hartley/Sutton.

If you’ve been participating in our recent homepage votes, now is your chance to find out if your views tallied with those of your fellow Formula One fans. Whether it be opinions on events past, or expectations for those to come, the results make for interesting reading…

Which of these drivers do you think is most likely to get McLaren's second 2007 race seat?
Just over 30 percent correctly predicted Lewis Hamilton would partner world champion Fernando Alonso at McLaren in 2007. More experienced driver Pedro de la Rosa, who claimed 60 percent of the votes cast, was by far the favourite, while fellow McLaren tester Gary Paffett only mustered four percent.

In the opening few races of 2007, who will have the edge at Ferrari?
With Michael Schumacher out of the picture at Ferrari, former team mate Felipe Massa and replacement Kimi Raikkonen are set to battle for supremacy once the new season gets underway. Almost three-quarters of you predict former McLaren man Raikkonen will comfortably fill Schumacher’s shoes, while just 24 percent back Massa to have the edge.

Do you think Alonso will retain his drivers' title with McLaren next year?
Once Fernando Alonso wrapped up a second consecutive drivers’ title with Renault, the question of whether he can maintain his winning streak with a different team arose. According to you, the answer is no - a massive 64 percent believe the Spaniard will not become champion again with McLaren in 2007. Twenty-seven percent think a third title remains no more than a possibility, while only a loyal nine percent predict Alonso will defend his crown successfully.

Will Renault retain their constructors' crown in 2007 with Fisichella and Kovalainen at the wheel?
As with Alonso, your predicted outlook for Renault is bleak, with only four percent confident of a third consecutive championship. Instead, over three-quarters of voters believe the French squad will not retain their title with Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen in the driving seat.

The best maiden victory of the 2006 Formula One season?
Both Honda’s Jenson Button and Ferrari’s Felipe Massa clinched maiden wins last year. While 40 percent backed Massa’s first win in Turkey, 50 percent favoured Button’s victory in the eventful Hungarian Grand Prix. And ten percent sat on the fence, deciding it was simply too close to call.

Will Ralf make 2007 the 15th consecutive year with a Schumacher win?
With Michael retiring, over half of you predict 2007 will be the first season in 15 years which will not see a ‘Schumacher’ winning a race. Although 32 percent believe Ralf could possibly score a win for Toyota, only 14 percent think success for the younger brother is a definite.

Which new driver impressed you most during the 2006 season?
Although BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica only competed in the last six races, a resounding 83 percent of voters backed him as last year’s most impressive debutant. German youngster Nico Rosberg, who marked his first race appearance with a fastest lap in Bahrain for Williams, received 12 percent of the votes, while Toro Rosso’s Scott Speed - the first American to compete in Formula One racing since Michael Andretti in 1993 - was backed by just five percent.

No Schumacher, no Brawn. Ferrari's best hope for the 2007 constructors' championship?
Just 15 percent of voters predict Ferrari’s chances in 2007 have been dampened by the break-up of the ‘dream team’ which clinched 11 world titles. Indeed 19 percent predict the Italian squad will equal last season’s second position, whilst an overwhelming 66 percent think the Italian outfit will lift the trophy at the campaign’s close.

Sato beat him in F3, but can Davidson win out at Super Aguri in 2007?
Almost a quarter of voters predict that Anthony Davidson will struggle to better his Japanese team mate, Takuma Sato. However, many more supported the British driver’s chances. Almost 42 percent believe he will definitely beat Sato, with another 41 percent predicting he has a chance of doing so. It seems the outlook is optimistic for the long-standing Honda tester.

Will the 'new' Bridgestone teams still be at a disadvantage come the start of the 2007 season?
With Bridgestone becoming the sport’s sole tyre supplier in 2007, exactly how the switch will affect the performance of former Michelin teams remains unclear. Although a fifth of voters foresaw few difficulties, the majority thought otherwise, with just under 80 percent predicting possible or definite drawbacks.