Testing Day One - Jerez, Silverstone, Monza 14 Jul 2004
Toyotas Ricardo Zonta was the fastest man at Jerez on Tuesday as this weeks test session got underway ahead of the forthcoming German Grand Prix. The Japanese squad was one of three teams in action at the Spanish circuit, with Zonta narrowly leading the way from the Ferrari of fellow Brazilian Rubens Barrichello.
Barrichello, at the wheel of an F2004, was working on a tyre testing and set-up programme and covered a total of 66 laps to finish ahead of another fellow countryman, Cristiano da Matta, at the wheel of the second Toyota present.
The McLarens of test drivers Pedro de la Rosa and Alexander Wurz rounded out the timesheets in fourth and fifth respectively, the pair completing close to 200 laps between them in the fine conditions, which saw clear skies and track temperatures of over 50 degrees Celsius.
Testing continues at Jerez on Wednesday, when Williams, BAR, Renault and Jaguar are all expected to join the session.
McLaren were also in action at Silverstone, alongside Jordan. Kimi Raikkonen topped the times from team mate David Coulthard, with Nick Heidfeld third fastest in the EJ14.
Finally, Ferrari had Luca Badoer at the wheel of another F2004 at Monza in Italy. The teams official tester put in 51 laps of the Italian Grand Prix circuit as part of a tyre and aerodynamics programme. His best time was a 1m 22.438s.
Unofficial Tuesday times from Jerez:
1. Ricardo Zonta, Toyota (Michelin), 1:18.590
2. Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari (Bridgestone), 1:18.592
3. Cristiano da Matta, Toyota (Michelin), 1:19.252
4. Pedro de la Rosa, McLaren (Michelin), 1:19.326
5. Alexander Wurz, McLaren (Michelin), 1:19.737
Unofficial Tuesday times from Silverstone:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren (Michelin), 1:17.648
2. David Coulthard, McLaren (Michelin), 1:18.026
3. Nick Heidfeld, Jordan (Bridgestone), 1:21.395