Button confident of Williams move 07 Sep 2004
Jenson Button said on Monday that he expects to be at Williams next year, following news that his latest contract with the team is now in the hands of the Contract Recognition Board (CRB), along with his BAR contract.
Button announced his planned move to Williams for 2005 last month, but it was immediately contested by his current team BAR, who insisted they have a binding agreement with the British driver for next season.
But with both contracts with the CRB, an independent body charged with determining the validity of driver contracts, Button is confident that the matter will soon be resolved in his, and Williams, favour.
"I think the CRB will understand our position," he said. "I wouldn't be going through all this if I didn't think it was possible. It's never a hundred percent certain, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be at Williams next year.
Button admitted that he had not been totally happy at BAR and that there had been some contractual differences, but insisted the primary motive behind his move to Williams, who have already signed Jaguars Mark Webber for 2005, is winning the world title.
"I don't think BAR is the right place to be next year because I don't think theyll be able to challenge for the championship," he said. "I think that in the future Williams is the team to be with. They've got the resources and Mark Webber and myself will be a great team.
"A Formula One driver's career has got to keep on moving," he added. "I can't keep finishing third or fourth in the championship. Money is not my aim in Formula One - my reason for moving to Williams is to be World Champion."
Button, currently third in the 2004 driver standings, started his Formula One career with Williams back in 2000, before moves to Benetton, which became Renault, and then BAR.