British Grand Prix to remain at Silverstone 07 Dec 2009
The British Grand Prix is to stay at Silverstone for the foreseeable future after the circuit and its owners, the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC), signed a deal to retain the event for the next 17 years. The race had been due to switch to Donington Park from 2010.
Speaking on Monday, CEO of the Formula One group, Bernie Ecclestone, said: "I am pleased that we have reached an agreement with Silverstone for the retention of the British Grand Prix. This will ensure that Great Britain will remain on the Formula One calendar for many years to come, which is something I have personally always wanted to see happen. The team at Silverstone already knows how to organise a good event, so now everyone can look forward to next summer at Silverstone.
Damon Hill, President of the BRDC, said: "We are delighted that the long term future of the British Grand Prix has been secured and that Formula One will be remaining at Silverstone, its natural home in Great Britain, for at least the next 17 years. This long term contract will enable us to continue with our plans to develop Silverstone into a world class facility, bringing the venue into line with the very best sports facilities in the world for the benefit of all race goers, teams, drivers and fans.
On a personal note, I would like to thank the team at Silverstone, our board of the BRDC, the membership of the BRDC and those in the industry who have been unwavering in their support. We have now secured the blue riband events in both two and four wheeled world championships, and are looking forward to an exciting future.