Home - The Official Formula 1 Website Skip to content

Anderson, Windsor: US car could be on track by November 14 May 2009

Green light at the end of the pitlane.
Formula One World Championship, Rd16, Japanese Grand Prix, Practice Day, Fuji Speedway, Friday, 10 October 2008 Ken Anderson (USA) Formula One World Championship, Rd 5, Spanish Grand Prix, Practice Day, Barcelona, Spain, Friday, 8 May 2009 Peter Windsor (GBR) at the launch announcement for his planned US-based team. Speed TV Channel, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. Tuesday 24 February 2009

After announcing plans in February for a US-based entry to the 2010 championship, Formula One veterans Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson have been hard at work laying the foundations for their fledgling team. Although they must wait until June to discover whether their entry has been accepted, Windsor and Anderson’s preparations are well underway, with their car scheduled to debut in November.

“We are working very hard behind the scenes, and at the same time from a public point of view, are waiting for everything to be formalised by the FIA,” former Williams team manager Windsor told Formula1.com. “The car is well underway being designed and we start making parts in late June and should have our car on the ground by late September.

“We will torture test the car and the suspension in October/November. Depending on the engine, we will be run the car in the first week of January. But if all falls perfectly into place, we would like the car to be running in November/December.”

With such a short turnaround in mind for their team, Anderson and Windsor have already moved into their American base in Charlotte, North Carolina, and that they have started to hire key team members, ahead of a bigger recruitment push in the autumn.

“Right now (our headcount is) about 20,” explained former Ligier technical director Anderson. “We are setting up the infrastructure, the management and the design department. In June we will be hiring those who will do the manufacturing, so we are moving from design to manufacturing and towards the end of the year be will be setting up our European facility and will start hiring the people who will be working on the team.”

As well as their burgeoning workforce and stateside factory, which will have the benefit of a 100-percent scale wind tunnel, the pair is also considering plans to feature American driving talent in their team.

“We have a shortlist of guys that we are looking at,” said Windsor. “There are some Americans doing quite well right now in single-seater racing from Ryan Hunter-Reay, Jonathan Summerton, Danica Patrick, Graham Rahal and A.J. Allmendinger.

“And then the next generation looks really strong! You’ve got four guys there: Gaby Chavez who is winning a lot of BMW races right now, Alex Rossi who is American and was the World BMW champion last year, Conor Daly, the son of Derek Daly, and Josef Newgarden who is winning in England right now.”

Back at their February launch Anderson and Windsor promised to take advantage of the FIA’s cost-cutting initiatives to run a thrifty, cost-effective team. So news that Formula One racing’s governing body wants to introduce the option of a £40-million budget cap was welcomed.

“It’s not far from what our budget has been anyway, long before the cap discussion came up,” said Anderson. “We’ve been planning on starting from scratch, buying only what we need and having only the people that we need. It’s much easier to start from zero and work your way up, than to run on £300-400 million and work your way down.”

The official entry list for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship - expected to comprise 13 teams - will be published on 12 June, 2009.