Massa given the all clear in Sao Paulo 05 Aug 2009
Felipe Massa has been given the blessing of doctors to continue his recuperation at home, after undergoing more tests in a Sao Paulo hospital on Tuesday. No further surgery is currently considered necessary for the Ferrari driver, who fractured his skull in a qualifying accident in Hungary.
Massa flew back to Brazil on Monday, having spent nine days in Budapests AEK hospital. Upon arrival in his home country he was transferred to the Albert Einstein hospital, where all examinations came back negative. As a result, he was discharged.
Felipe has had a remarkable recovery," said Dino Altmann, his personal doctor. We did a series of in-depth tests and the outcome is very encouraging so that we, together with the hospital's medical staff, decided that it wouldn't be currently necessary to further intervene from a surgical point of view. The best thing for him now is to go back home, where he can calmly convalesce and rehabilitate.
Massa lost control of his car at the Hungaroring after being struck on the head by a loose spring from the rear of Rubens Barrichellos Brawn. No date has been set for his return to competition, though he has already said he is eager to get back behind the wheel. I hope I'll be back on the track with Ferrari as soon as possible, he said in an interview with the team earlier this week.
The man set to replace Massa for the foreseeable future is his former team mate, and seven-time world champion, Michael Schumacher, who is currently engaged in a special training programme to ensure his fitness for the European Grand Prix on August 23. Schumacher retired from Formula One competition at the end of 2006.