How Vettel can become champion in Singapore 23 Sep 2011
Four drivers have won in 2011, but one man has won four times more than anyone else - Red Bulls Sebastian Vettel. With eight victories and only one non-podium finish - a fourth in Germany - he now stands on the brink of a second successive drivers title.
A third place in this weekends 2011 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix could be enough to see the German crowned champion with five rounds to spare. But, of course, Formula One is never that simple. t all depends on how his key rivals fare at Marina Bay.
They (in championship order) are Ferraris Fernando Alonso, McLarens Jenson Button, Red Bulls Mark Webber and McLarens Lewis Hamilton.
The big picture:
- Vettel has to be on the Singapore podium to become champion.
- if Alonso is on the podium, Vettel cant do it.
- if Hamilton wins, Vettel cant do it.
To become champion, Vettel requires one of the following three scenarios:
1. Vettel wins; Alonso 4th or lower; Button/Webber 3rd or lower.
2. Vettel 2nd; Hamilton 3rd or lower; Alonso 8th or lower; Button/Webber 5th or lower.
3. Vettel 3rd; Hamilton 4th or lower; Alonso 9th or lower; Button/Webber 7th or lower.
For tickets and travel to 2011 Formula One races, click here.
For Formula One and F1 team merchandise, click here.