Home - The Official Formula 1 Website Skip to content

Williams urges rivals to accept budget cap 30 Apr 2009

Frank Williams (GBR) Williams Team Owner.
Formula One World Championship, Rd 14, Italian Grand Prix, Practice Day, Monza, Italy, Friday, 12 September 2008

Frank Williams has said he would like to see all teams competing under a budget cap next season, following the FIA’s announcement on the issue on Thursday. The FIA has given teams the option of running to a £40 million budget in 2010 in exchange for greater technical freedom.

Williams, who would prefer the cap to be compulsory, is encouraging all his rivals to opt for the cost-restricted route, thus avoiding the scenario of capped and non-capped teams running to slightly different technical regulations.

“We would like to see all the teams operating to one set of regulations and under a budget cap in 2010 and that is the position we will be advocating within (Formula One Teams Association) FOTA when we meet next week,” said Williams.

“We understand that this will represent a serious challenge for some of the teams but we expect that FOTA will work together to find a unified and constructive way to take the FIA’s initiative forward.”

Williams has always been an advocate of restricting costs, and while he admitted that the teams’ combined efforts to cut spending have been productive, he also believes the need for a budget cap is clearer than ever.

“Williams has supported the introduction of a budget cap since the idea was first put forward early in 2008,” he added. “Since then FOTA has made tremendous steps forward on costs but the rationale for a budget cap has also grown even stronger.”