No more delays for new era of F1: ‘It's definitely coming in 2022,’ says Brawn
F1’s new regulations, initially slated to come in next year but now pushed back to 2022, won’t be delayed any further, Ross Brawn has insisted.
Racing Point chief Otmar Szafnauer told F1.com last month that he was pushing for the rules change to be further delayed in light of the coronavirus pandemic's effect on the current season, but Brawn, F1’s managing director of motorsport, says the new blueprint for the sport will be in place for 2022.
“I think some teams pushed to delay them a further year,” said Brawn. "I think there’s a justifiable need to carry these [current] cars over into next year because we’re in the middle of the [lockdown]. That’s completely justified.
“The initiatives we’re bringing with these new regulations are to make the sport more economically viable in terms of the complexity, where the money is spent.
“With the cars we have now, they’re so complex that with the more you spend the quicker you’ll go and we need to level off that slope and create a situation where money is not the only priority in how competitive you’ll be.
“Therefore, we need these new cars to even that slope.
“We still want the great teams to win – [but] we need to maintain the integrity of the sport, to have the best teams winning, [however,] I think to have a competitive form of racing with these new regulations, the new cars, they’re a bit further away – but they’re definitely coming in 2022.”
On Monday Brawn also announced plans to reduce the budget cap coming in next year from $175m down to $145m as a response to the economic challenges presented by the virus outbreak. Click here to read the full story.