Perez to race on with Force India in 2019
Force India have confirmed one half of their driver line-up for next year, with news that Sergio Perez is to stay on with the team for 2019…
The Mexican has been with Force India since 2014, having made his F1 debut with Sauber in 2011, and will contest his sixth full season with the Silverstone-based squad.
The identity of his team mate has yet to be revealed, but Lance Stroll – who has been replaced by George Russell at Williams – is expected to take the seat at the team now owned by a consortium headed by his father Lawrence.
“I’m pleased that Sergio will continue his journey with us in 2019,” said Force India Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer.
“Over the last five years, Sergio has confirmed his position as one of the most talented and consistent drivers on the Formula 1 grid.
“He gives us valuable stability going forward and is a huge asset to the team. As we begin an exciting new chapter in the life of this team, we are delighted that Sergio will race with us going forward.”
Perez, who currently sits seventh in the drivers’ championship and is the only driver outside the top three teams to stand on the podium in 2018, added: “I am very happy to finally announce my future and I’m really motivated for 2019.
“Force India has been my home since 2014 and has allowed me to grow as a driver and show my skills on track.
“We have achieved so much success in the last five seasons but I think the best is yet to come. The new investment the team is enjoying fills me with confidence and I am really excited about the future.”
The 2019 F1 grid as it stands
• Mercedes – Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
• Ferrari – Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc
• Red Bull - Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly
• Renault – Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Hulkenberg
• Haas – Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
• McLaren – Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris
• Force India – Sergio Perez and TBC
• Toro Rosso – Daniil Kvyat and TBC
• Sauber – Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi
• Williams – George Russell and TBC