News

Famin explains Ocon’s exit from Alpine and responds to Canadian GP ‘punishment’ rumours

Share
famin-ocon-comp-2024.png

Bruno Famin has had his say on Esteban Ocon’s upcoming departure from Alpine, claiming that the two parties were “coming to the end of the cycle” after almost five years together.

It was announced earlier this week that Ocon, who joined the Renault-owned team back in 2020, will vacate his seat at the end of the 2024 season, with his future plans yet to be announced.

ANALYSIS: What next for Esteban Ocon and Alpine after his exit?

The news came shortly after the Frenchman and compatriot team mate Pierre Gasly clashed on the opening lap of the Monaco Grand Prix, for which Ocon was given a five-placed grid penalty – to be served in Canada – by the stewards.

Asked by Sky Sports F1 how Ocon’s exit came about, and whether it was a result of that clash, Alpine team boss Famin began: “I’m much more focused on what is coming than what happened before.

“I think with Esteban, and with Pierre… I’ve said it several times before, we have been talking for months. I think with Esteban it was quite clear that we were coming [to] the end of the cycle.

2024 Monaco Grand Prix: Gasly furious after Ocon sent airborne in clash between the two Alpines

“He has been with us for five years, he’s still here with us for the [rest] of the season, 16 races to go. I’m sure we will still do very good work all together, I trust his professionalism, and we will do our best all together to get the best possible results.”

After a well-documented falling out in their karting days, Famin admitted that he has been forced to speak “frankly and directly” to Ocon and Gasly during his time at the helm of the team to maintain a professional working relationship.

READ MORE: Ocon opens up on Alpine exit as he dismisses suggestions of Monaco ‘punishment’

He then cleared up what was said to the pair ahead of their coming together on Monte Carlo’s streets, amid reports that Famin sought out Ocon for a one-to-one conversation to reinforce instructions and attempt to avoid any drama.

“When we have race instructions, we all speak all together, to make sure everybody has the same information, everybody listens to the same information at the same time,” he said.

“The instructions were clear before the race in Monaco, like it was clear before the race before, the previous one… It was very clear.”

MONTREAL, QUEBEC - JUNE 06: Pierre Gasly of France and Alpine F1 and Esteban Ocon of France and

Ocon and Gasly will go their separate ways after two seasons as F1 team mates

Referencing his strongly worded reaction to the incident that followed, which promised “appropriate consequences”, Famin continued: “I think it was quite right [for me] to be upset, because for the team it was very bad.

“Without the red flag we would have been [with] Pierre last, because he would have to stop for the puncture, he would have finished the race last. It was a very bad thing.”

READ MORE: Gasly reflects on his partnership with Ocon as he addresses his own Alpine future

Famin denied, however, that there was ever a threat of Ocon being benched for this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix, where the 27-year-old also sat out FP1 to give reserve driver Jack Doohan some more F1 running.

“I don’t know who talked about that,” said Famin, with Ocon himself playing down talk that he was being “punished” by the team. “It has never been a point.

“Again, we are professional. Even if something bad happens, we talk, we discuss, and we do what we need to do for improving the situation for the coming race, but benching him for a race has never been a point.”

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

News

Wolff admits Mercedes had ‘short dream’ of victory in Montreal after Russell’s strong start