News

'It's my home in F1' – Magnussen and Hulkenberg pleased to continue with Haas into 2024

Share
MAG.png

Team mates Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hulkenberg have given their reactions to the media following the announcement that the veteran pair will be racing in Haas colours once again next season.

Magnussen is in his second stint with the team, having previously signed in 2017, before leaving at the end of the 2020 season. He re-joined the American outfit at the start of the 2022 campaign, meaning that next year will be in seventh in Haas colours.

PADDOCK INSIDER: Haas choose experience and stability in pursuit of the next step

When it was put to him at the drivers’ press conference ahead of this week’s action in Zandvoort how long he had been with the team, Magnussen remarked: “Seven seasons, it sounds like a lot. Didn't feel like that many.”

Reflecting on the extension, which Magnussen said took a “simple” negotiation with Team Principal Guenther Steiner and the team’s owner Gene Haas, he added: “Very happy to continue. We have a job to do right now.

“It would be really fulfilling to see the progress into next year that we are working on right now. I know this team very well, it’s my home in Formula 1. It's great to have another year.”

SPA, BELGIUM - JULY 30: Kevin Magnussen of Denmark driving the (20) Haas F1 VF-23 Ferrari on track

Magnussen will be entering his seventh season with the team in 2024

When asked to expand on his reflections about Haas' progress for next season and whether they can get to the front of the midfield, Magnussen replied: “I think so. It's so tight that I think every team feels that they can do that.

“We've seen some teams make very big progress this year and we haven't really done that. We've kind of stalled in our development with the car. We are in a very good place as a team, in a place that we haven't really been in before.

READ MORE: Haas retain Magnussen and Hulkenberg as drivers for 2024

“I think it is a very healthy team right now, but we are under-delivering on the car. And I think there are all the ingredients that we need to make that step forward.

“And I think we can do that probably this year, hopefully, but certainly into next year, there should be a good chance.”

ZANDVOORT, NETHERLANDS - AUGUST 24: Nico Hulkenberg of Germany and Haas F1 talks to the media in

Hulkenberg was pleased to sign an extension with Haas which he believes was a long time coming

Hulkenberg, however, is in his first year with the team, following a three-year spell on the sidelines as reserve driver. And after a strong start to the season – in which he's scored nine points and sits 14th in the championship – the German revealed how pleased he was to continue his “relationship” with Haas into next year.

LIVE COVERAGE: Follow all the build-up ahead of the Dutch Grand Prix weekend

“Yeah, it’s good, good news obviously,” said Hulkenberg. “I think it has been a while coming. I think all the signs were for us to continue the relationship, the partnership, so happy to have it done and announced.”

On the negotiations with Steiner and Haas, Hulkenberg said: “Yeah, it was smooth sailing. I think they were happy so far with me, so we will do a few more dances together!”

Share

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

FeatureF1 Unlocked

HINCH'S HEROES: Who does Indycar star James Hinchcliffe reckon was flawless in Florida?