News

Vettel says F1 return could be ‘appealing and interesting’ as he reveals talks with Mercedes boss Wolff

Share
vettel-portrait-nurburgring-2023.png

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel says he doesn’t feel too old to compete in Formula 1 and would potentially be interested in a return to the sport if the package was right.

Vettel hung up his gloves and helmet at the end of the 2022 campaign, following two challenging seasons with Aston Martin – but with 13 seats available on next year’s grid, and drivers like Fernando Alonso racing into their 40s, 36-year-old Vettel admitted to considering a return to the championship.

READ MORE: Wolff ‘would love’ to have Verstappen as there’s no team who ‘wouldn’t do handstands’ to sign him

“The better the car, the better the team, the more exciting it is in terms of having the prospect of being successful,” said Vettel when speaking to Radio X in the UK.

“I'm following the sport, I see what's going on. And it [a return] might be appealing and interesting, but it really depends on the full package because it is a big commitment as well, with all the other stuff going on outside the driving activity.

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 20: Tenth placed Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Aston

Vettel's last F1 race was the 2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with Aston Martin

“To seriously consider, it would very much depend on the package. From an age point of view, I feel bloody young with all the guys that are still hanging around and signing big contracts, being around for longer – it looks like I could have another 10 years in the sport! So I'm definitely ahead of them in terms of keeping fit.”

With Lewis Hamilton departing Mercedes for Ferrari next season, a seat at the Silver Arrows is among the most sought-after on the grid.

When asked by Sky Sports how he would feel about an offer to drive for Mercedes, Vettel responded: "I've had conversations with him [Mercedes boss Toto Wolff], not really about the seat. We did speak about the whole situation in short as well.

READ MORE: ‘Seeing the names pop up on Toto’s phone has been quite funny’ – Russell on the drivers chasing Hamilton's Mercedes seat

“But I did speak to others as well because I'm still keeping in touch every now and then. I have some projects and ideas together with F1. We'll see if they will turn out or not.

"So I am staying in touch. I don't know. It has to be a couple more phone calls and conversations, I guess, to really find out a little bit more. But for sure [Mercedes] is one of the best seats on the grid."

Motorsports: FIA Formula One World Championship 2013, Grand Prix of Brazil, #1 Sebastian Vettel

The German driver won four championships with Red Bull from 2010-2013, while recording 53 wins with Toro Rosso, Red Bull and Ferrari

One of the reasons for Vettel choosing to leave the sport was so that he could spend more time with his children. A racing return would pull him back on the road and away from his family for large chunks of the year – with the four-time champion admitting that that would be a factor to consider.

“It is a decision that I take for myself, but I take for the family as well,” added Vettel. “The kids have already said that they love it the way it is now. They wouldn't really support big time to go back, but they said that without [me] asking, to be honest.

READ MORE: Vettel set to test Porsche 963 Hypercar as he explains ‘curiosity’ for endurance events

“Depending on the car, it will be something that we discuss together obviously.”

Meanwhile, having tested a Porsche 963 hypercar at Motorland Aragon last week, there had been talk that a Le Mans outing this year with the German manufacturer might be on the cards for Vettel. But Vettel said he didn’t think the prospect was “realistic”, adding: “It was very exciting, very different to have a roof over your head. But yeah, it was it was a cool experience.”

Share

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

Video

RACE START: Watch the getaway from Imola as Verstappen fends off the McLarens and Ferraris