Latest / Headline

Perez: 2015 Force India deal close

10 Sep 2014

Sergio Perez says he is in advanced talks to extend his contract with Force India for the 2015 season.

With limited spaces available at other teams, Perez, 24, said it is unlikely he will leave the Silverstone-based team, having joined from McLaren ahead of the start of the 2014 season.

"I believe there are big chances of me staying here," he told Formula1.com. "We are quite advanced in negotiations, so let's see where I end up.

"There are not many options out there that would be better to where I am, so there is no reason for me to move. Anything can happen, but I think there is a big chance of staying."

The Mexican, who secured the fourth podium of his F1 career - and only the second in Force India's history - in Bahrain earlier this year, added there was "no doubt" he would be on the grid when his home nation returns to the F1 calendar for the first time in over two decades next season.

Perez moved up to 11th place in the drivers' standings on Sunday after a battling seventh-place finish in Italy. He is now two points behind Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen and 31 adrift of team mate Nico Hulkenberg, who is also expected to remain at Force India in 2015 having rejoined the team on a multi-year deal ahead of the 2014 season.