Testing roundup - Ferrari fastest pre-Italy 08 Sep 2003
Last week will go down in history as one of the busiest ever for Formula One testing. After the long summer break from on-track development, the teams were keen to get back to work and all ten of them conducted at least two days of running at Monza in preparation for this weekend's Italian Grand Prix.
Ferrari and Williams were both at Monza from Tuesday through Friday, with the former also running at Fiorano. McLaren, BAR, Sauber, Toyota and Jaguar all completed three days (BAR also ran one car at Lurcy in France), while Renault, Jordan and Minardi carried out two-day programmes.
The week started with a heavy accident for Ralf Schumacher, which forced Williams to draft in Marc Gene to replace him. However, the young German is convinced he will be fit in time for this Friday's first practice at Monza.
Jordan again had Hungarian driver Zsolt Baumgartner in the cockpit as Ralph Firman chose to sit out the test following his recent accident at the Hungaroring. The team also tested new F3000 champion Bjorn Wirdheim, while BAR tried his team mate Townsend Bell.
The main talking point of the week was tyres and in particular Michelin's reaction to news that front tyre width will now be checked after, as well as before, races. The French company's partner teams did trial new designs in response to the changes, with Renault reporting superior lap times from the revised rubber.
See also: Tuesday's testing report.
See also: Wednesday's testing report.
See also: Thursday's testing report.
See also: Friday's testing report.
See also: Formula One outings for F3000 team mates
Unofficial best times of the week from Monza:
1. Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 1:20.823
2. Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari, 1:20.854
3. Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams, 1:21.052
4. Marc Gene, Williams, 1:21.487
5. David Coulthard, McLaren, 1:21.546
6. Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren, 1:21.710
7. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 1:21.737
8. Luca Badoer, Ferrari, 1:21.810
9. Jarno Trulli, Renault, 1:21.952
10. Jacques Villeneuve, BAR, 1:22.092
11. Mark Webber, Jaguar, 1:22.114
12. Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Sauber, 1:22.127
13. Alexander Wurz, McLaren, 1:22.250
14. Cristiano da Matta, Toyota, 1:22.281
15. Olivier Panis, Toyota, 1:22.293
16. Ralf Schumacher, Williams, 1:22.416
17. Ricardo Zonta, Toyota, 1:22.465
18. Takuma Sato, BAR, 1:22.473
19. Jenson Button, BAR, 1:22.496
20. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:22.753
21. Anthony Davidson, BAR, 1:22.891
22. Justin Wilson, Jaguar, 1:22.928
23. Giancarlo Fisichella, Jordan, 1:23.045
24. Nick Heidfeld, Sauber, 1:23.443
25. Bjorn Wirdheim, Jordan, 1:23.633
26. Zsolt Baumgartner, Jordan, 1:24.134
27. Jos Verstappen, Minardi, 1:24.712
28. Gianmaria Bruni, Minardi, 1:24.743
29. Nicolas Kiesa, Minardi, 1:25.033