Italian GP Qualifying Facts & Stats: A third 1- 2 for Mercedes but best qualifying of the year for McLaren
On a circuit where the tow can be so important, qualifying saw plenty of shenanigans from the drivers as they sought an advantageous track position throughout an exciting qualifying session. In the end, Valtteri Bottas made his final flying lap count for Mercedes to grab just his second P1 of the season, beating his team mate by a tenth at the Temple of Speed. But what other facts and stats were thrown up from this Friday qualifying session?
• Valtteri Bottas was quickest in Q3 for only the second time this year – the first being Portugal.
• Mercedes finished 1 – 2 in Q3 for the third time this season, also managing the feat in Portugal and Hungary.
• Max Verstappen has never been lower than third in Q3 this season, although this time around it was marginal with Lando Norris just 0.023s behind.
• Verstappen’s grid slot was Red Bull’s first top four in dry conditions at Monza since 2013.
• Both McLarens finished in the top five in Q3 for the first time in 2021.
• Pierre Gasly has been in the top six 12 times in 14 races in 2021.
• Carlos Sainz finishes seventh for Ferrari, having been third on the grid for McLaren last year.
• Antonio Giovinazzi reaches Q3 for the second straight race, and third time this season.
• Neither Aston Martin made it to Q3 for the second race running.
• It is the first time Lance Stroll has failed to make Q3 at Monza in his career.
• With Fernando Alonso in P13 and Esteban Ocon one place further back, this was Alpine’s second worst qualifying of the season with only Austria seeing lower grid slots.
• Yuki Tsunoda lost his lap time at the end of Q1 which promoted George Russell to Q2 in his place – the Williams man having only been knocked out once this year in Q1.
• But for the Japanese driver, it was his eighth Q1 exit in 14 races this season.