Russian GP Facts & Stats: Mercedes remain unbeaten in Russia, as Hamilton hits F1 century
There was really only one headline stat after Sunday’s dramatic Grand Prix in Sochi and that was Lewis Hamilton’s 100th Formula 1 victory. But delve deeper and there were plenty of other fascinating numbers thrown up in Russia…
• Mercedes are undefeated in Russian Grand Prix history – they have won all 8 championship races, plus the pre-championship races in 1913 and 1914.
• Hamilton is the first driver to win from outside the top 3 on the grid in Sochi.
RACE REPORT: Hamilton takes 100th F1 victory after late rain shower denies long-time leader Norris at Sochi
• It was his first win from 4th on the grid since Hungary 2009.
• Hamilton won for only the 2nd time in the last 11 races – his previous victory was the British GP.
• Max Verstappen finished 2nd from last on the grid, and was 2nd in Russia for the 2nd year in a row.
• Hamilton and Verstappen have now finished 1-2 (in any order) 23 times in F1 history.
HISTORY MAKER: The moment Lewis Hamilton becomes the first driver to reach 100 F1 wins
• Carlos Sainz took his 3rd podium for Ferrari this season, and his first top-5 finish in Russia.
• Daniel Ricciardo’s P4 was his best-ever finish in Sochi and ties Mclaren's best-ever Russian GP finish.
• In P5, Valtteri Bottas was off the podium in Russia for the first time since joining Mercedes – and tomorrow marks 1 year since he last won a race.
• Alpine’s Fernando Alonso finished 6th for the 3rd time in Russa – he has never finished higher in Sochi. It was his 4th top-6 result of 2021.
• Long-time leader Lando Norris eventually took P7 for McLaren, having only led 1 lap in his career before today.
• Norris took the fastest lap of the race for the 3rd time in his career.
Driver of the Day: Norris gets your vote after coming oh-so-close to maiden F1 win in Sochi
• Kimi Raikkonen’s P8 finish was Alfa Romeo's best result of 2021, and the Finn’s best result since Brazil 2019.
• Red Bull’s Sergio Perez in P9 maintained his 100 percent point-scoring record in Russia, despite losing what would have been his 3rd podium of 2021 to the late rain shower.
• By finishing 10th, George Russell secured his 4th points finish in the last 5 races, after never previously scoring for Williams since his debut in 2019.