News

Alpine will deal with Ocon and Gasly’s Monaco clash ‘behind closed doors’ insists Famin

Share

Alpine boss Bruno Famin has given his take on the first-lap clash between his two drivers Pierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon in the Monaco Grand Prix – an incident that took Ocon out of the race and saw him hit with a five-place grid drop for the next race on the calendar in Canada.

Ocon had been trying to overtake his team mate by attempting a move up the inside through Portier, but there was contact between the duo and Ocon’s car bounced into the air before landing with a heavy impact ahead of the tunnel.

READ MORE: Ocon to take five-place grid drop at Canadian GP after dramatic first-lap clash with team mate Gasly in Monaco

The damage was too significant for the #31 car to continue and, with the stewards initially handing him a 10-second time penalty after finding him “wholly to blame” for the incident, this was converted to a grid penalty for the upcoming Canadian Grand Prix.

‘An unfortunate incident’ – Ocon gives his view on Lap 1 clash with Gasly

Ocon later took to social media to apologise for the clash, while Gasly voiced his frustration at the actions of his team mate, having commenting after the race: “It was a clear instruction from the team on what to do, what we were supposed to do, and this wasn’t respected [by Ocon].”

With Gasly ending the race in 10th to score his first point of the season, Team Principal Famin said there were mixed emotions for the squad.

READ MORE: Gasly fumes at Alpine intra-team clash in Monaco as Ocon takes to social media to apologise

“Today’s result was largely defined by yesterday’s qualifying and, as a team, one point is how it has ended up,” the Frenchman said after the Grand Prix.

“It’s a bittersweet feeling. We probably did not maximise yesterday’s qualifying but from where we ended Friday to where we have ended Sunday is clearly a positive outcome.”

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 24: Bruno Famin, Team Principal of Alpine F1 attends the Team Principals

Team boss Bruno Famin wasn't at all happy to see his two cars collide in Monaco

Famin also explained how Alpine will handle the contact between Gasly and Ocon, with the team boss stressing that such incidents must not happen again.

“As a team we will review and manage the incident between both cars behind closed doors,” he added. “We must avoid situations that have the potential to compromise the team.”

HIGHLIGHTS: Relive all the race action as Leclerc wins at home following a chaotic start in Monaco

Gasly’s point brings Alpine’s total up to two for the 2024 season so far, with Ocon having claimed the outfit’s other point at the Miami Grand Prix. They currently sit ninth in the constructors’ standings, with only Kick Sauber – who have yet to get off the mark – below them in 10th.

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: Pierre Gasly of France driving the (10) Alpine F1 A524 Renault on

Gasly came home in 10th to score Alpine's second point of the 2024 season

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

Feature

2025 F1 GRID: All the driver and team line-ups confirmed so far