News

Magnussen describes Sainz as ‘cork in the bottle’ of driver market amid update on contract talks

Share
IMOLA, ITALY - MAY 16: Kevin Magnussen of Denmark and MoneyGram Haas F1 Team and Carlos Sainz Jr of

Kevin Magnussen says that Carlos Sainz is currently acting as the “cork in the bottle” of the 2025 driver market, with the Dane expecting other moves to start falling into place once the Ferrari man has made his decision.

As several line-ups on next year’s grid are yet to be finalised, much focus is on the future destination for Sainz amid his impending exit from the Scuderia at the end of 2024. The two teams most heavily linked with the 29-year-old are Williams and Kick Sauber.

2025 F1 GRID: All the driver and team line-ups confirmed so far

Magnussen is amongst the drivers still to confirm their plans, with Haas having not yet announced either of their pairing for the next campaign following the news that Nico Hulkenberg will depart for Sauber.

Asked during a press conference ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix about why things in the driver market are taking so long – and what is proving to be the cork in the bottle – Magnussen pointed to Sainz as he answered: “He is! Carlos is the cork in the bottle.

“I think a lot of guys are waiting for him to make a move and then eventually all the other pieces of the puzzle will fall. That’s the truth of that.”

MONTREAL, QUEBEC - JUNE 08: Kevin Magnussen of Denmark driving the (20) Haas F1 VF-24 Ferrari on

Magnussen has scored one point for Haas so far in 2024

This is not the first time that Magnussen has faced uncertainty over his F1 future, having been left without a seat in 2021 before making a surprise comeback with Haas in 2022. While the 31-year-old admits that not knowing the next steps is “not a comfortable situation”, he is also feeling less worried than he may have done in the past.

“I’ve been in this situation many times before – I’ve been out of Formula 1 a few times before, and life outside is also pretty good,” Magnussen explained. “When I was younger, I had a lot of fear of losing this, which I don’t think you need to have.

READ MORE: Magnussen shares what Haas have told him about chances of keeping seat for 2025

“I think it’s a very big privilege, I love driving these cars and love racing in Formula 1, but I think I’m much more relaxed about things now than I was in the past.

“We’re very early in the year, so it’s in that way a different situation than I’ve had before. I think all the decisions will be made likely in the next weeks or so, but we’ll see how it all ends up.”

As for Sainz, the Spaniard revealed that he is keen for his 2025 plans to be decided as soon as possible.

BARCELONA, SPAIN - JUNE 20: Carlos Sainz of Spain and Ferrari attends the press conference during

Sainz is yet to make his decision on which team he will race for in 2025

“The latest [news] is that a decision will be taken very soon,” he commented. “I don’t want to wait any longer. I think it’s getting to a point where it’s obviously taking space out of my head for quite a few weeks now and months.

“It’s time to make a decision and the decision will be taken soon. Hopefully soon we will have things to talk about.”

Pushed on whether he is clear in his mind on where he wants to be, Sainz added: “No, that’s the thing. I’m still not sure one way or another. It’s still something I’m discussing with my team and brainstorming.

READ MORE: Vowles doubles down on Sainz comments as he makes clear Spaniard is ‘number one target’ for Williams

“I need a couple of days back at home. Before the Spanish Grand Prix I’d been at home, but you don’t have the head in the future, you have the head in the Spanish Grand Prix.

“It’s been a very hectic couple of weeks after Canada for me, so I haven’t had time to really sit down and take a decision, and this is what I will target in the next few weeks.”

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

FeatureF1 Unlocked

THE STRATEGIST: How the F1 pit wall teams cope with hectic and changeable races like Sunday’s British Grand Prix