Chilton, 22, was widely expected to stay with Marussia after a strong debut season in 2013, when he set a rookie record by finishing all 19 Grands Prix.
“I am really happy to be continuing with the Marussia F1 Team into a second season,” said Chilton in Saturday’s announcement. “Continuity is important for the team but also for me as a driver. You learn such a lot in your debut season, but the second year is when you can really pull all of those new experiences together and show your true potential. That has always been the case for me in the junior categories and I’ll be aiming for a similar step in my second year of F1 competition.
“I would like to thank the Marussia F1 Team for their continued faith and support. They are a great bunch of people who are extremely hard-working and ambitious and I can’t wait to embark on our 2014 season challenge together.”
After re-signing Frenchman Bianchi back in October of last year, Marussia team principal John Booth said he was pleased the team have now been able to conclude a deal with Chilton.
“In view of this year’s regulation changes, continuity is key, so it is highly beneficial to our technical team that we retain the same driver line-up moving forward,” commented Booth. “Max had an impressive debut season last year and, of course, achieved a new rookie record for finishing all 19 races. He can be justifiably proud of the progress he made through the course of 2013.
“With our race driver line-up complete we can now focus all of our attentions on our 2014 car and moving the Marussia F1 Team to the next level. After our success in achieving 10th place in the constructors’ championship, we have set our sights on a bigger and better 2014 campaign.”
Chilton’s signing leaves Caterham as the only team yet to announce their 2014 driver line-up. Caterham have, however, confirmed their attendance at the first pre-season test of the year which takes place in Jerez, Spain on January 28-31.