Grosjean discharged from hospital in Bahrain after three nights of care following crash
Romain Grosjean has been discharged from hospital following treatment for the burns he suffered in his crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday.
Grosjean’s Haas VF-20 was split in two by the force of his Lap 1 crash during the race, with his survival cell penetrating an Armco barrier and erupting in flames, with Grosjean suffering burns as he extracted himself from the cockpit.
TREMAYNE: Grosjean’s shocking accident will only spur efforts for even greater F1 safety
But after three nights spent at the Bahrain Defence Force Hospital in Riffa, close to the Bahrain International Circuit, where he was treated for the burns to the back of his hands, Grosjean was discharged at 1030 local time on Wednesday.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Haas driver posted a picture of his bandaged hand, writing: “My right hand this morning. The happiness I had when I was told that I didn't need the full dressing anymore and could use my finger was huge. Almost cried. A victory on my way to recovery.”
This tweet has been removed from Twitter
Grosjean will remain on the ground in Bahrain for the time being to receive private treatment for his burns, while with the French driver unable to race in this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix, his place at Haas will be taken by the team’s reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi.
READ MORE: Grosjean says he thought about Niki Lauda and reveals he ‘saw death coming’ in fiery Bahrain crash
It’s not yet clear whether Grosjean will be fit enough to race in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, in what would almost certainly be his last race in Formula 1. That’s because both Grosjean and team mate Kevin Magnussen have been replaced at Haas for 2021, with Grosjean also taking to Twitter on Wednesday morning to welcome Mick Schumacher to the team, with the German announced alongside his fellow F2 racer Nikita Mazepin at Haas for next year.