Racing Point withdraw appeal against stewards' verdict on RP20 brake ducts
There was drama on Sunday morning in the Italian Grand Prix paddock as Racing Point revealed they have decided to withdraw their appeal of the stewards’ verdict regarding their controversial brake ducts…
Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll said last month that he was “angry” and “appalled” by “the poor sportsmanship of our competitors” as he boldly defended his team after they received a significant fine and points deduction for running illegal rear brake ducts on their RP20 car.
They appealed the decision, as did Renault and Ferrari. However, last month Renault withdrew their appeal and on Sunday, Racing Point did the same, stating they have done so “in the wider interests of the sport”.
READ MORE: ‘The controversy should be put behind us’ – Renault withdraw appeal against Racing Point ruling
“We welcome the resolution the teams have agreed, and we’re pleased the FIA has provided much-needed clarification of the rules on listed and non-listed parts,” said Racing Point in a statement.
“The stewards and all parties involved in the appeals process recognise that there was a lack of clarity in the regulations and that we did not deliberately break them.
“Now that the ambiguity around the regulations has been settled, we have decided to withdraw our appeal in the wider interests of the sport.
“This issue has been a distraction for us and the other teams, but now we and everyone else can get back to focusing solely on what we’re all here to do: racing hard and providing excitement and entertainment for the millions of F1 fans around the world.”
ANALYSIS: Why did Renault withdraw their Racing Point protest appeal?
That just leaves Ferrari as the sole team who are appealing the decision. F1.com understands they are currently still set to continue with their appeal as of this moment.