Spanish Grand Prix: Qualifying Facts and Stats
Lewis Hamilton may have been out-qualified by his Mercedes team mate for the third time this season, but this will be the Briton's seventh consecutive front-row start at the Spanish Grand Prix. Here's a few more juicy statistics from Saturday in Barcelona...
- Mercedes could soon add another record to their history books. Their fourth front-row lockout of 2019 is the team's 61st in Formula 1. That’s just one behind Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. Can they join the trio in Monaco?
- Valtteri Bottas secured his third consecutive pole position. The Finn has now scored more poles in 2019 than he did in the entirety of last season.
- Max Verstappen will hope history can repeat itself tomorrow. His P4 starting spot is the same position he started the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix from when the Dutchman took victory on his Red Bull debut.
- This was only Daniel Ricciardo’s second Q3 appearance of the season, but this one will maintain a record. The Australian has now reached the final part of qualifying in Spain during every season of the hybrid era, introduced in 2014.
- Haas brought new upgrades to Spain, and they paid off in style. Grosjean and Magnussen will line up seventh and eighth and it is the first time both the team's cars have qualified in the top 8 at the Catalunya circuit.
- Carlos Sainz’s Q2 elimination means he was out-qualified by a team mate at his home Grand Prix for the first time.
- Talking of qualifying eliminations, Lance Stroll’s 17th place grid spot means his run of consecutive Q1 departures now extends to nine.
- Hulkenberg has also struggled with qualifying this season. The Renault driver was eliminated from Q1 for the third time this season, that is more than he suffered during the entire 2018 campaign.
- George Russell has out-qualified Robert Kubica at every Grand Prix this season, but the Williams may be starting to find some pace. Russell was just 0.408s behind Antonio Giovanazzi's Alfa Romeo - that’s the closest the struggling team have been to the next quickest car so far this season.