News

Formula 1 shutdown extended by four weeks as coronavirus pandemic continues

Share
Vista aerea (foto da elicottero) dell'area dove sorge la fabbrica

As the world continues to battle the coronavirus pandemic, Formula 1’s rulemakers have opted to extend the factory shutdown period by a further four weeks.

In March, soon after the Australian Grand Prix failed to take place, governing body the FIA brought the summer shutdown period forward from August and then earlier this month extended it from three to five weeks.

READ MORE: F1 and coronavirus FAQ – Everything you need to know

The World Motor Sport Council have now ratified another extension, taking the total shutdown period to 63 days.

The shutdown means departments such as design, research and development, production and build must down tools. But on Tuesday, the FIA said that after 50 days of the shutdown, teams can use up to a maximum of 10 personnel “to work remotely on long lead time projects”.

F1 is now hoping to start the season in July - here's what the 2020 calendar could look like

Explained: What does an early F1 factory shutdown mean for the teams?

The shutdown period for power unit manufacturers has also been extended, from 35 to 49 consecutive days. They are allowed to have a maximum of 10 personnel working remotely on long lead time projects after 36 days have expired.

All teams must formally apply to use the 10 staff in this way and receive approval before they can start work.

The news comes a day after F1 CEO Chase Carey said the sport is aiming to begin the 2020 season in Austria on 3-5 July.

Share

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

Feature

Our writers share their views on where they’d love to see Adrian Newey next after his Red Bull departure