News

Williams' Logan Sargeant withdrawn from Azerbaijan Sprint after Shootout qualifying crash

Share

Williams have withdrawn Logan Sargeant from the Saturday evening Sprint after the American rookie crashed during the Sprint Shootout earlier on Saturday afternoon.

Sargeant crashed out of SQ1, the first segment of qualifying for the Sprint, as he hit the barriers out of Turn 15. Having incurred heavy damage, the Williams will not take part in the 100km Sprint at 1730 local time at Baku.

READ MORE: Ocon to start Azerbaijan Sprint and Grand Prix from pit lane after Alpine make parc ferme changes

After the Shootout, the FIA released the following statement: "The Stewards have received a request from Williams Racing to withdraw Car 2 from the Sprint following the Sprint Shootout incident."

The American driver qualified a provisional 15th for the Sprint but said that traffic ahead of him was partially to blame for the incident.

"Obviously it's my job to not put it in the wall so I’m sorry to the team for that and the damage that I caused but I feel like the people in front of me could have helped me out a little bit," said Sargeant before the withdrawal had been announced.

"It was pretty heavy. A lot of work for the boys, so again I feel bad about that. But I know they’ll be working as hard as they can and I’ll keep looking at what I can do better for this afternoon.

READ MORE: Formula 1 to race in Azerbaijan through 2026 after new deal agreed

"I feel like we had really good speed in it and to end it like that its pretty bad."

Alpine's Esteban Ocon will start from the pit lane in the Sprint as changes have been made to his suspension set-up with the cars in parc ferme conditions.

Sargeant unhappy with ‘two cars playing games on track’ after Sprint Shootout crash

Share

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

News

Miami Grand Prix attracts F1’s largest live audience in United States television history