News

Zandvoort upgrade work well underway ahead of Dutch GP return

Share

With Zandvoort returning to the Formula 1 calendar for the first time since 1985 next year, a major upgrade is taking place to construct two banked corners, improve run-off areas and expand the paddock – and early signs show that we’re in for a spectacular Dutch Grand Prix in May 2020.

The (silent) footage above shows the final corner – Arie Luyendijkbocht, named after Dutch two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk – which features steep banking to send cars screaming down the start-finish straight and improve overtaking chances into Turn 1.

READ MORE: 2020 F1 Calendar features a record-breaking 22 races

Hugenholtzbocht (Turn 4), named after former circuit director John Hugenholtz, is another corner that is receiving the banked treatment, with work scheduled to finish in February 2020 ahead of the Grand Prix on May 3rd.

1 / 9

Construction of circuit updates at Zandvoort, host of the 2020 Dutch Grand Prix, December 2019. © Chris Schotanus

The Dutch Grand Prix’s Sporting Director - and former F1 driver - Jan Lammers said: “With these modifications, Circuit Zandvoort becomes the most demanding and most beautiful circuit in Europe, perhaps even in the world. Coming from Zandvoort myself, but also as a motorsport fan, that is making me quite proud.”

Former F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting, who died earlier this year, visited the circuit in September 2018 to inspect the site, with Italian agency Studio Dromo in charge of renovation.

READ MORE: 5 great moments in Dutch Grand Prix history

“We took Zandvoort’s special character into account, we have maintained it as well as we could and even reinforced it at some points,” said the agency’s spokesperson Jarno Zaffelli.

Other improvements being carried out include an expansion of the paddock, installation of tunnels under the track and new gravel run-off beds.

WATCH: The drivers on racing at Zandvoort

Share

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Coming Up

Coming Up

News

Haas keen to move on from Monaco after ‘Sunday to forget’ with double DNF likely to have 'big cost'