British GP Facts & Stats: Hamilton breaks yet another F1 record with his 99th career victory
He may not have done it in quite the way he’d have liked, but Lewis Hamilton’s home win at Silverstone has put him on the brink of a century of F1 victories, and puts even more records against his name in the history books. Here they are, along with a plethora of other key numbers from the British Grand Prix…
• Hamilton’s 8th British GP win ties the F1 record for the most wins in a single event, matching his own 8 Hungarian GP victories and Michael Schumacher’s 8 French GP triumphs.
REPORT: Hamilton overcomes first-lap collision with Verstappen to hunt down Leclerc for 8th British GP win
• It ends Hamilton’s streak of 5 races without a win before today.
• It was Hamilton’s 9th consecutive podium finish at Silverstone – an F1 record for a single circuit.
• Until Charles Leclerc’s showing today, Ferrari had led just 1 lap in the previous 27 Grands Prix.
• It was Leclerc’s 1st podium finish since the 2020 British GP on August the 2nd last year.
DRIVER OF THE DAY: Leclerc's stunning Silverstone performance wins your vote
• It was the 4th time in a row that Leclerc has finished in the top 4 at Silverstone.
• P3 for Valtteri Bottas was the Mercedes driver’s 5th career podium at Silverstone without ever having won here.
• Bottas has now finished 3rd 5 times this year. He has taken a single 2nd place and is yet to win.
• P4 for Lando Norris was his best-ever result at Silverstone and his 9th top-5 finish of 2021.
• McLaren team mate Daniel Ricciardo was 5th – his best finish of 2021 on the 10th anniversary of his Grand Prix debut.
• There were 2 McLarens in the top 5 at Silverstone for first time since 2010 when Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button achieved the feat.
READ MORE: ‘I wanted that little bit more’ – Norris disappointed after slow pit stop costs him shot at British GP podium
• Carlos Sainz’s P6 for Ferrari tied his best-ever Silverstone result, and was the 3rd consecutive race where he's finished in the top 6 after starting 10th or lower.
• At Alpine, Fernando Alonso’s P7 was his best Silverstone finish since his final year at Ferrari in 2014 when he was 6th.
• Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll took P8 and tied his best finish of the 2021 season – he now has 4 8th place finishes.
• Red Bull’s Max Verstappen – still the championship leader – retired on the first lap for the 6th time in his F1 career.
READ MORE: ‘It was a desperate move’ – Furious Horner hits out at Hamilton after Verstappen crash
• With P9, Alpine’s Esteban Ocon maintained his 100% point-scoring record in 5 Silverstone starts.
• With Yuki Tsunoda P10 and Pierre Gasly P11, AlphaTauri exactly repeated their finishes from the last Silverstone race, 2020’s 70th Anniversary GP.
• Williams’ George Russell has been 12th or better in 3 of the last 4 races - plus he finished Saturday’s F1 Sprint in 9th - without ever scoring a point for the team.