Charles Leclerc volunteering with the Monaco Red Cross to help coronavirus effort
Earlier this week, Charles Leclerc pulled on a mask and headed onto the streets of Monte Carlo to assist the Monaco Red Cross in their volunteer work during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Ferrari driver, who is also an ambassador of the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation, delivered meals to elderly people who are unable to leave their homes, helped transport equipment to the Princess Grace Hospital Centre and distributed meals to Red Cross volunteers.
It comes after he has also assisted Princess Charlene in promoting her mask initiative and raced online to raise money for the World Health Organisation’s COVID-19 Response Fund.
The F1 grid are currently on hiatus while they await news on when the 2020 season can begin. On Monday, Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey said the championship was targeting a racing return on 3-5 July in Austria.
It means Leclerc and his colleagues are having to find other ways to fill the time they would normally spend jetting around the world for races.
Aside from his volunteer work Leclerc has also taken up sim racing, and has taken to it with charcateristic aplomb, winning the first two Virtual Grands Prix he has entered.
“There’s a lot of fun, but then there are some races where we take it quite seriously,” he says. “The official [virtual] F1 races are actually quite serious – and we all want to win.” He adds: “This is good way to stay sharp and practise with pressure. Even on a virtual game like this, I have pressure. When Alex [Albon] was second and very close to me [in the fight for the lead in China], I absolutely wanted to finish first.”
And he will be back in action in Sunday's Virtual GP gunning for a third victory in a row. We'll be streaming the race live here on F1.com – so don't forget to tune in to find out how he gets on.