Sao Paulo GP Facts & Stats: Hamilton-Bottas match Schumacher-Barrichello win record
Sunday’s race at Interlagos was a thrill a minute as Lewis Hamilton hunted down title rival Max Verstappen for the win. It also threw up a host of interesting numbers for them, for their respective team mates, and for their fellow drivers up and down the grid…
• Prior to today Hamilton only had 1 previous win from outside the top 6 in his F1 career – from 14th at Hockenheim in Germany in 2018.
• Nobody had ever won from lower than 8th at Interlagos before.
• Hamilton's 101st F1 win means he equals the entire win total of the nation of Brazil – in Brazil!
• This is the 58th win for Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas as team mates for Mercedes, matching the F1 record of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello at Ferrari between 2000 and 2005.
• Other drivers who have won Grands Prix after grid penalties: Jackie Stewart (Great Britain, 1969 - started 2nd); Kimi Raikkonen (Japan, 2005 - didn't lose a place as a result of the penalty, was 17th on the grid); Jenson Button (Hungary, 2006 - started 14th).
• Verstappen scored in a Grand Prix for the first time on an F1 Sprint weekend.
• For Bottas this was only his 2nd podium in the last 5 races.
• With P4 in the second Red Bull, Sergio Perez ended a run of 3 consecutive podium finishes (the longest of career), but also matched his best-ever Interlagos result.
• Perez made his 210th F1 start today, matching the career total of Gerhard Berger, the first Red Bull-sponsored driver in F1 history.
• Charles Leclerc finished in the top 5 for the 10th time this season, but still has only has 1 podium (Silverstone) to his name in 2021.
• Ferrari have scored 18 points in the Grand Prix itself at the last 3 races in a row – plus 1 Sprint point this weekend.
• Carlos Sainz took P6 in the sister Ferrari to extend what is the longest active points streak to 12 consecutive Grands Prix.
• Sainz has more points finishes in 2021 than Leclerc (17-15) and more podium finishes (3-1), but trails him by 10.5 points in the drivers’ championship.
• AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly finished P7 – his 13th points finish of 2021.
• With P8, Alpine’s Esteban Ocon scored his first-ever points in Brazil.
• With Fernando Alonso in P9, Alpine and AlphaTauri scored an identical number of points today, to stay tied on points for 5th in constructors' championship.
• With P10, Lando Norris scored points on his 22nd birthday weekend, despite picking up a puncture before reaching Turn 1 of the race.
• Williams’ George Russell took his best finish in the last 4 races with P13.
• Nikita Mazepin beat Haas team mate Mick Schumacher to P17.
• Daniel Ricciardo retired his McLaren with technical problems, bringing his 34-race finishing streak to an end. His last DNF was in Austria 2020.