Hulkenberg to stand in for Perez at Racing Point at 70th Anniversary GP
Racing Point have confirmed Nico Hulkenberg will once again stand-in for Sergio Perez at Silverstone after the Mexican returned a positive result for Covid-19.
On Thursday, the pink team said Perez had completed his seven-day period of self-isolation, in line with Public Health England guidelines, and would be tested to see if he could return to the cockpit after missing the British Grand Prix.
However, on Friday morning, two hours ahead of first practice, the team said Perez had tested positive again and as a result “he will continue to follow the guidance of Public Health England”.
The team added that “he is physically well and recovering”.
It means Hulkenberg, who competed for the team last weekend – after eight months out of the cockpit – but failed to take the start because of an engine issue, will drive for the team this weekend alongside Lance Stroll.
“I’m excited to get going again with the team at Silverstone. Last weekend, it was a real step into the unknown having been away from the team for a few years – and driving a car I’d never driven before,” said Hulkenberg.
“I’ve learned a lot in the last week about the RP20 and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend. Racing at the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job in helping me get up to speed.
“I think we can fight for points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo all the best in his recovery.”
Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer added: “Nico did a really strong job last weekend after receiving a last-minute call to drive for us at Silverstone, and he proved why he was an obvious choice to stand in for Checo.
“It was a big shame he couldn’t actually take the start of the race last Sunday, but all that hard work will prove very useful for this weekend. We miss having Checo with us, but we wish him well and look forward to welcoming him back into the team in the near future.”