What tyres will the teams and drivers have for the Austrian Grand Prix?
Now that the first Grand Prix of the season is looming, it's time to talk tyres for the Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring this weekend.
Unlike previous seasons, this year – for the first eight races at least – the drivers will all get the same allocation of hard, medium and soft tyres for each race. That's two sets of white-walled hard tyres, three sets of mediums (yellow) and eight sets of red-walled soft tyres.
Pirelli’s Head of F1 and Car Racing Mario Isola explained: “With so many variables at the start of this delayed season, and a flexible calendar that doesn't leave much time to react to changing circumstances, it was agreed with the teams, the promoter and the FIA to announce the compound nominations for the first eight races this year all together.
“As usual, these compounds have been chosen to best match the characteristics of the individual circuit and provide interesting opportunities for race strategy.”
See the full allocation for the Austrian Grand Prix, and the subsequent seven races, below.
Image courtesy of @Pirellimotorsport. For more information about Pirelli's Formula 1 tyres, visit pirelli.com.
Read more on the new season
- Can any of last season’s midfield teams make F1’s ‘big three’ the ‘big four’ in 2020?
- 8 F1 records in danger of being broken in 2020
- Every Formula 1 team’s biggest challenge in 2020
- How much will the cars have changed since testing when they arrive in Austria?
- 5 headline-grabbing rivalries set to dominate the 2020 season
- F1 2020: Our writers' predictions and hot takes ahead of the new season
- Vettel’s future, Hamilton’s record chances and more: 10 key questions for the 2020 season